The day I left home for college was one that I will never forget. The night prior to leaving, I spent with friends in my living room. We were talking, reminiscing about the past and what could be to come in our futures. It was a sad occasion to be leaving the place I grew up. I was scared to be leaving my small corner of the world that was so familiar. I mean, what would I possibly do without my family and friends? They got me through thick and thin and now I was moving 2 and a half hours away from the people I loved the most.
That morning I awoke, with having gotten barely any sleep at all. It was so early, that the sun had yet to rise. It was an unusual feeling. I never imagined actually leaving my home. I would picture myself away in a dorm, living the life of a college student but I never imagined the day I would actually pack my belongings and leave. My mom, dad, and I packed the car silently and when I was all set to go, I went and woke up my 15 year old brother to say goodbye. He hugged me goodbye and gave me his favorite jacket that we would always fight over. I would always borrow it, and he would always get mad that I wore it more than he did. I started to cry thinking of how much I was going to miss him and the rest of my family.
Now that I have been away from home for a semester, I still miss my family and friends immensely. However, I realize that I am settled and happy living on my own. I have made even more close friends in addition to my friends at home. I have grown as a person and learned a lot about myself over the past semester. I am independent and love my new friends. Looking around now, I cannot imagine my life any differently. I will always love and have my family and friends at home where ever my life takes me. However, now I have the opportunity to meet loads of new people and spend time with my new friends here at school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can totally understand how you felt because I'm also very close with my family and friends and I was very saddened to leave them. Now that I'm here I'm happy I've decided to stay because like you I have also met so many great people.
ReplyDeleteI really understand where your coming because when I left home I cried like a baby.I still struggle with home sickness. I am slowly getting used to life on my own.
ReplyDelete